From 1 to 12 days of hike, along the waterway
It’s one of the most pleasant walk that we propose to you! It will take you from Le Puy-en-Velay, in Haute-Loire, to the gate of Saint-Etienne by following the Loire. The two banks of the river being marked, you can easily build some tour from 1 to 12 days of hike/ it is also possible to go back to your starting point by train, the itinerary being served by the train line SNCF Le Puy-en-Velay / Saint-Etienne.
… At the edge of the last wild river of Europe. This one fights its way through the steep gorges or makes itself comfortable in huge fecund and sheltered ponds. The heritage of the first castles of Loire will present itself to you in Lavoûte-sur-Loire, Artias or even, Bas-en-Basset. The guidebook “Gorges de la Loire sauvage” gives you all the information to plan your itinerary, your steps and book your accommodation with:
- The topographical IGN maps with the route on both banks,
- An accurate description of the ramble,
- The listing of the accommodation,
- A chart of all the service,
- The useful addresses.
Our ideas of hike along the Loire…
Here come some examples of hikes that yoo can follow on the guidebook of the “Gorges de la Loire sauvage”. The list isn’t exhaustive and it’s only up to you to think up your own itineraries. And do not forget, the train is at your service to take to the start of your walks!
- From Le Puy-en-Velay to Lavoûte, so that’s 17 km of hike and come back by train to your starting point.
…in 2 days of walk
- Day 1 : from Lavoûte-sur-Loire to Chamalières-sur-Loire by the right bank: 22 km
- Day 2: from Chamalières-sur-Loire to LAvoûte-sur-Loire by the left bank: 28.5 km (knowing that its’ possible to cut the step in two in Vorey)
…in 3 days of walk
- Day 1: from Retournac to Vorey-sur-Arzon by the left bank: 22 km
- Day 2: from Vorey-sur-Arzon to Lavoûte-sur-Loire by the right bank (GR 40 then GR 3): 20 km
- Day 3: from Lavoûte-sur-Loire to Le Puy-en-Velay by the right bank: 19 km
…in 4 days of walk
- Day 1: from Aurec-sur-Loire to Bas-en-Basset by the left bank: 17.5 km
- Day 2: from Bas-en-Basset to Retournac by the left bank: 25.5 km
- Day 3: from Retournac to Monistrol-sur-Loire by the right bank: 23.5 km
- Day 4: from Monistrol-sur-Loire to Aurec-sur-Loire: 18.5 km
…and even more possible walks
As you can see, with the guidebook « Gorges de la Loire sauvage », the possibilities of hike are almost unlimited, from 1 to 9 days of walk! For the bravest, you’ll be able to extend your itinerary to 12 days of walk with the guidebook “Gorges de la Loire sauvage aux portes de Saint-Etienne” (“Gorges of the wild Loire at the gates of Saint-Etienne”).